We got spoiled with two straight days of rain this weekend. That literally never happens in Denver.
After spending all day yesterday at continuing education classes for my personal training certification and then stepping out into the cold, rainy weather, I was craving a creamy, hot, flavorful soup.
Before going home, I stopped to pick up a few ingredients for soup, including nutritional yeast.
I had been wanting to experiment with nutritional yeast as it adds a nutty, cheesy, savory flavor (plus loads of nutrition) to dishes that typically call for a ton of processed cheese and milk. Let's just say it did not disappoint.
You can use it to replace dairy in dishes like alfredo sauce, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, chicken dishes, casseroles...you name it! It's loaded in Vitamin b12 and considered an inactive form of yeast. I know, everything about nutritional yeast sounds horrible but just trust me that it's anything but.
Along with only taking 15 minutes from start to finish, this soup is....
*rich in flavor
*protein + healthy fat packed
*kid-friendly (my 3-year-old went back for thirds!)
Enjoy and stay warm friends!
Cheeseburger Soup (GF, DF)
2 T ghee or butter
1 1/2 lb grass-fed beef
3/4 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
1 can tomato sauce
3 T tomato paste
1 1/2 cups raw cashews
2 cups chicken broth
5 T nutritional yeast
green onions (for garnishing)
1. Heat a cast-iron pot to medium-low and add fat, beef, onion and garlic. Saute, stirring frequently as you crumble and brown meat.
2. When beef is cooked, add tomato sauce, paprika and salt. Stir well and turn heat to low.
3. Add tomato paste, cashews, chicken broth and nutritional yeast to a high-powered blender. Blend for 30 seconds to puree ingredients.
4. Add puree to pot with meat and stir together. Cook on low for 5-10 more minutes to allow flavors to blend.
5. Serve with green onions and a piece of my Cast-Iron Cornbread!
If you're struggling to make sense of this healthy living thing, join us in Summit Fit to learn the power of habit to simplify and supercharge change in your life!