Do you ever get overwhelmed by all of the post-workout nutrition advice out there?
If you eat 27.5 grams of protein exactly 30 minutes after your workout, your muscles will grow ten percent.
If you fail to eat said protein after workout, expect to lose all gains.
:Insert eye rolls:
Let me help you simplify this whole post-workout T H A N G.
First off, unless you are bodybuilding or training for a professional sport, you really shouldn't care about grams of anything when it comes to eating.
JUST EAT REAL FOOD.
After a workout, the goal is to replenish the muscles and glycogen stores that were depleted during activity. And we don't need a science book to tell us this, our body has this amazing way of saying I'm hungry after workout....and usually for higher carb foods.
Ideally, we want to refuel our bodies without pumping them full of synthetic vitamins and chemicals found in most protein powders, bars and supplements promoted by the fitness industry.
After your workouts, I want you eating smart, whole foods.
Let me break down why this smoothie is awesome and smart:
1. Coconut water: replaces the electrolytes you lost during activity.
This is especially important if you lost a lot of fluid through sweat and feel dehydrated at all.
2. Spinach: an amazing source of nutrition including folate and iron. You are probably needing some more greens in your diet anyway, right?
3. Strawberries: a low-sugar fruit that offers wonderful antioxidants and carbohydrates to replenish the glycogen you burned during activity.
4. Mango: again, provides natural sugars and is sweeter than strawberries so this adds wonderful sweetness to your smoothie.
5. Hemp seeds: REAL freaking food that contains 10 grams of protein per serving + omega-3-fatty-acids....not some weird powder processed with who knows what in it! Adequate protein intake is very important in general but especially after a workout to ensure you are building the muscles tissues back up with proper nutrition.
6. Coconut oil: a wonderfully nutritious fat that helps release insulin which carries nutrients into your muscles.
I have no doubt you'll be feeling supercharged after this smoothie and that amazing workout you just had.
Post-Workout Green Smoothie
3/4 cup water or coconut water (coconut water is the world's best source of electrolytes!)
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen mango
3 T hemp seeds
1 T coconut oil
Blend water and spinach first to make sure greens get liquified, especially if you don't have a powerful blend.
Add remaining ingredient and blend.
**to increase sweetness, add a touch of raw honey